Shoppers across the borough are being urged to get behind their local market as the nation gears up to mark Love Your Local Market (LYLM) fortnight from 13 to 27 May.
The two week celebration will be marked on Rochdale Market with brass bands and face painting, as well as the chance for visitors to bag themselves a hamper containing fresh local produce and other treats donated by the traders.
The event comes at an exciting time for the market, which has gone from strength to strength since moving into traditional cabins in the heart of the town centre earlier this year.
Gary Green, Rochdale Market Manager, said: “It’s a been a period of change for the market since the council took it over late in 2013 to save it from closure, but what we have now is really vibrant and a great addition to the town centre. New businesses, including a musical instrument seller, wood crafting stall and baker, have joined our established traders since the move and we also have some great hot food stalls.
“We’ve got a packed schedule for Love your Local Market fortnight and I’d urge shoppers to come along and get involved. It’s our opportunity to celebrate Rochdale’s great market tradition.”
Events taking place during the fortnight at Rochdale Market include:
· Brass band performance from Wardle Academy’s ‘Junior Blast’ - Saturday 23 May, 12noon – 12.30pm and 1.30 to 2pm
· Face painting - Saturday 16 and Saturday 23 May – 11am to 2pm
· Win a hamper – Shoppers buying goods on the market during the fortnight will be entered into a raffle to win a hamper full of market treats. Other prizes, including Bowlee nursery vouchers, will also be up for grabs.
· Opportunity for growing businesses to test trade – Hire a stall for just £5 a day throughout the fortnight.
· Recycling trailer – Friday and Saturday 15 and 16 May, Monday and Tuesday 18 and 19 May, all day. Find out all about recycling, order a new bin or simply grab some freebies like Love Food, Hate Waste recipe cards, spaghetti measurers and bag clips.
· Link4Life health checks – get a free health MOT and top tips on feeling good from the health trainers at Link4Life – Wednesday 27 May, 11am – 1pm
Over at Middleton Market, budding entrepreneurs can test trade on the market, with stalls available for just £5 a day throughout the fortnight.
Also in Middleton, there will also be a day of celebration on Saturday 23 May with the award-winning Rochdale music service offering live music throughout the day, alongside children’s entertainment including a Punch and Judy show, balloon making, character walkabouts and magic shows.
Visitors to Heywood’s magic market can take advantage of their weekly £50 cash giveaway. To enter, visitors simply need to spend money on the market to receive a raffle ticket, with the winner being announced in the Heywood Advertiser and on the website www.heywoodmagicmarket.co.uk each Saturday morning.
Mark Widdup, Service Director for Economy and Environment at Rochdale Borough Council, said: “Small independent traders like market stallholders are a long-standing tradition and help to make each of our town centres unique. The council’s new offer of free parking for 3 hours means it will be even easier for people to go out and enjoy all that they offer during LYLM fortnight.”
To hire stall on Rochdale Market during the LYLM fortnight, please contact Gary Green on 07807 412 438.
To hire a stall on Middleton Market during the fortnight, please contact Ashleigh Franklin on: 07794 374 554.
For more information on markets in Rochdale borough, please visit www.rochdale.gov.uk