Rochdale’s magnificent Town Hall is a Grade 1 Listed Building and is widely regarded as one of the finest in the country, particularly due to the high quality of the decoration within the building.
The defining building of Rochdale, was previously used as a working Town Hall & offices, Council Chamber and Committee Rooms. Many of the office functions transferred to the Council’s new Number One Riverside offices in 2013.
The RDA on behalf of the Council commissioned a feasibility study to look at all options for the building that would respect its high significance. The Council has now approved plans for the reuse of the building that will allow greater public access to previously unseen areas, including the old Police cells.
A programme of work is underway to improve certain areas of the Town Hall whilst the major funding bids to Heritage Lottery and other funds that will help continue the restoration and refurbishment of this fabulous building are developed.
A stage 1 bid was submitted to HLF in December 2016. We will find out the decision April / May 2017.
· The Registrars area has been redecorated and refreshed to provide an improved environment for ceremonies.
· The magnificent stained glass windows are being sent away for cleaning and restoration a few at a time.
· In celebration of the 800 year anniversary of the signing of the Magna Carta, the huge mural in the Great Hall is being painstakingly inspected by specialists to establish the best way to clean and restore it.
· A survey has been carried out of all the roof areas and a long term maintenance plan is currently being drawn up.
· The Town Hall Bistro has been refurbished.
Rochdale Town Hall is available for events, functions, weddings & tours. Click the link below for more information on the facilities available.
Click here for more information on Rochdale Town Hall
Google street map view inside the Town Hall click here